Sunday, November 8, 2009

12 Is Too Close to 13

Hyatt decided to turn 12. Even though I told him not to. I begged him not to. I threatened to stop feeding him, so he would stop growing. I kicked, I screamed, I whined. He did it anyway. So. . . in honor of his 12th birthday, and in keeping with some very outrageous tradition that Matt got started a few years back. . . we took an unexpected trip. We woke up a couple of days before Hyatt's birthday, and Matt said to me "Let's go see the Yankees again" (now, I have never seen the Yankees play, but Hyatt and Matt have done it a few times. . . remember what I said about an outrageous tradition) So we packed up the next day and off we went, but this time we went to California to see the Yankees. Much warmer, and much easier. We took the boys to Huntington beach, and stayed in a brand new hotel that was right on the beach. We did all the fun stuff. We ate at all the great spots, we shopped at at the great shops, we rode waves, we ate doughnuts made by surfers (why do old surfers make such great doughnuts. . . gee I wonder), and we went to the game at Anaheim Stadium. We packed so much fun in to 4 days, it felt like 2 weeks.

Two things happened on this trip. First, I decided it was ok for Hyatt to turn 12. He is so much fun to hang out with. He is funny and smart, and brave. He is a little too brave. The life guards at Huntington had to remind him of that. . . over the loud speaker. I decided that even though I hate that he is growing up, I love who he is growing up to be, so I can enjoy it. But I may still complain once in a while. I get to do that. The day he is taller than me, which at the current rate of things will be sometime this year, I get to REALLY complain. The second thing I discovered is that I LOVE major league baseball. LOVE IT! No more letting the boys go with out me. I want in on all the fun. Matt thinks he may have created a monster.

We had a fabulous trip. It was all so perfect. The hotel had even decorated our room for Hyatt's birthday when we got there. (Matt is such a fun dad!) They had a huge poster, signs and a big huge box of treats for Hyatt to take to the game. If you ever get a chance to go to Huntington, stay at the Shore Breaks Hotel, it is the best! A huge thanks to my Mom and Dad for keeping not only Griffin, but the dog too! THANK YOU!! It was so fun to have time with the older boys, and do all the crazy stuff we can't really do with Griff. You guys are the best!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

shannon said...

So fun!!! What a great trip! And seriously, 12? wow. That was quick. I met him when he was what, 4?5? Crazy.

patterglenn said...

Thanks for the great surf show!